1 Cindi Bisson McGee - Behind These Eyes : Flannel Blue Jay Ornament

Friday, December 13, 2013

Flannel Blue Jay Ornament


Featured this week in Cindi's Simple Solutions at WCK.

Upcycled plaid flannel from an old shirt gets a new life as a primitive style bluejay ornament for your holiday tree. 


Materials: 
Plaid flannel material
Twine
Hot glue gun & hot glue sticks
Blumenthal Lansing   small white buttons
Blue embroidery floss & embroidery needle 
Fiberfill stuffing
Scissors 

Instructions: 

Print bluejay pattern found on the internet (or freeform cut your birds as I did).  Cut two birds from plaid
flannel fabric (my fabric is from flannel shirt purchased at the local Goodwill store - one of my favorite
sources for fabric!). 
Stitch two birds together using embroidery floss, leaving an opening to stuff.  I wanted my stitching to 
show to add to the primitive feel, so I did not turn my stitched bird inside out to hide stitches before 
stuffing.  
Stuff bird and stitch closed. 
Cut piece of twine to hang bird, hot glue to top center of bird. 
Cut two pieces of twine and glue to sides of bird to create wings as shown. 

Glue button to each side of head for eyes. 

No comments: